Higher Education in Maryland

> About
> Commission Members
> Colleges & Universities
> Institutional Grants
> Job Openings
> OCR Plan
> Planning and Academic Affairs
> Academic Approval Process
> New Programs Under Review
> Academic Programs
> Distance Education
> Advisory Councils
> Academic Common Market
> Student Guide to Transfer
> Veterans Benefits
> Base Realignment & Closure (BRAC)
>Other Higher Ed Links

Financial Aid
Career and Workforce Education
Press Room
Higher Education Accomplishments
Preparing for College
Online Services
For Students and Parents
> Financial Aid Applications
> Education Opportunities
> Academic Common Market
> Career Training
> MD CAPS (Student Inquiry)
> Advisor Tools
> Student Outreach Kit
> Veterans Benefits
> "Money for College" Events
> Student Guide to Transfer
> Guia para estudiantes (pdf)
For Counselors
>   Planning & Academic Affairs
> Colleges & Universities
> Education Search
> Academic Approval Process
> Programs Under Review
> Research
> Institutional Grants
> MD Fire-Rescue Education
> Career Training
For Counselors
>   Who We Are
> Contact Us
> Meetings
> State Plan for Higher Ed
> Office for Civil Rights Report 
> Advisory Council
Interagency Initiatives 
Base Realignment & Closure
Higher Education in Maryland

Licensing and Certification Benefits:

The licensing and certification benefit allows the Department of Veterans Affairs to pay eligible veterans for the cost of a test they have taken to obtain certain licenses or certifications.  Veterans can receive reimbursement if the test has been specifically approved by the State Approving Agency in the state where the testing of the licensing entity is located.

Note: This benefit can only pay for the cost of the test.  It does not reimburse the veteran for the cost of training or other fees connected with obtaining a license or certification.

How can a veteran apply for licensing and certification benefits(PDF)?opens a new window 

Applying for Reimbursement of License and Test Costs:

Students must send a copy of test results to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) office which handles education benefits.  Check the mapopens in new window  on the VA's Internet site at www.gibill.va.govopens in new window for the nearest VA Regional Processing Center and forward the information to this address.  The VA Regional Processing Center for veterans in Maryland is the Buffalo, New York location.  Attach a note with the following information:

  1. Written request for reimbursement.

  2. Include name and social security number.

  3. List the title of the test and the date it was completed.

  4. Indicate the name and address of the organization issuing the license or certificate (not necessarily the organization that administered the test).

  5. State the cost of the test.  NOTE: registration fees, preparation guides, processing fees, etc. will not be reimbursed.

  6. Insert the following statement with signature: "I authorize release of my test information to VA."

Students who have never previously filed a claim for VA education benefits will also need to submit an application for benefits.


  • Veterans or active duty members, file VA Form 22-1990

  • Eligible children or spouses of veterans file, VA Form 22-5490

  • For further information on forms call the VA at: 1-888-442-4551

Hours of Operation:  Monday through Friday 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM  |  Back to top  |  (PDF) Links require Adobe Acrobat Reader