State University Green Initatives
- In March 2008, Coppin State University (CSU) signed the
American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment (ACUPCC),
a coalition of over 600 colleges and universities concerned
about the impacts of global warming and dedicated to reducing
campus greenhouse gas emissions. Since signing the ACUPCC, the
University developed a university-wide taskforce of students,
faculty, and staff to develop a climate action plan and to
ensure that sustainability informs all aspect of the
university’s strategic planning process.
- The Green Coppin Initiative, a coalition founded by faculty
and students, has placed into action different activities to
create awareness of the current climate crisis and global
warming among the University and the surrounding community.
- For the first time ever, CSU is competing against nearly 400
other colleges and universities in a national recycling
competition known as Recyclemania.
- February 27, 2009 to March 2, 2009, more than fifty (50) Coppin State University students will converge with more than
10,000 other young people from across the country in Washington,
D.C. for Power Shift ’09 to share ideas, learn new skills,
develop ways to strengthen the climate and clean energy movement
beyond 2009 and send a message of change to elected officials.
- The University is engaged in other environmentally conscious
practices such as installing new, energy efficient heating and
cooling systems and sensored lighting systems in our new
facilities; installing ‘green tile’ which contains natural rock
and recycled glass in the Library; and installing new energy
efficient air handlers and new zone sensored lighting system
when we upgrade the utilities in the Library.
- Coppin State University has implemented an IP network
centralized energy management and control system for all
buildings for energy conservation; run classes at the
University’s satellite locations in Prince George’s County and
Baltimore City; offer on-line courses and are currently
exploring a fully on-line degree; and have implemented Virtual
Server Technology for “greener” Data Centers. These initiatives
have better enabled us to reduce pollution.
- Implemented on-line business process such as on-line
requisition, time-entry, grade entry and others that reduces
- Reduced hard copy documents and reports through the
utilization of electronic media.
- Reduced power consumption through the utilization the setting
of the power management features on computers, increased laptop
proportions replacing desktop PCs, replacing CRT monitors with
flat screens, and using energy efficient bulbs.
- Coppin has launched its “Keep Coppin Clean Initiative”, which
is a part of CSU students’ campus-wide recycling drive.
Back to List of Higher