Skip to Main Content


Who may apply: Current high school seniors and full-time or part-time, degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate students. Students attending a private career school may also apply.

How to apply: If your delegates make their own awards, you should call or write them for further instructions. The Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) can provide a list of all State legislators. Some delegates ask OSFA to make awards for them. These awards are made on the basis of need as demonstrated on the FAFSA.  If a delegate asks OSFA to make the awards, students must complete and file the FAFSA.

When to apply: Complete and file the FAFSA by March 1. Contact your delegates in February for further instructions.

Eligible majors: All majors are eligible.

You may use this scholarship at an out-of-state school if your major is not available at any Maryland institution and if your delegate agrees. In order to verify your major as unique, you must complete the Unique Major Application and submit it to MHEC with the required documentation. Allow 8 weeks for processing.


You and your parents (if you are a dependent student) must be Maryland residents. You must enroll at a two-year or four-year Maryland college or university as a full-time (12+ credits per semester) or part-time (6-11 credits per semester), degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student, or attend certain private career schools.


If OSFA makes the awards for your delegates, you must demonstrate financial need.


2016-2017 Award Minimum: $200
2016-2017 Award Maximum: $11,250

You may hold the Delegate Scholarship with all State awards. The total dollar amount of all State scholarship awards may not exceed your cost of attendance as determined by your college’s financial aid office or $19,000, whichever is less. Funds may not be available to award all eligible students.


Awards are not automatically renewed.  You must re-apply each year to your delegates.  If required, you must complete and file the FAFSA by March 1.


2016-2017 Conditions of Award

Help is available if you having a problem displaying PDF files.

If you do not know how to contact your state senator or delegates, go to or call the Board of Supervisors of Elections for your county:

  • Allegany County                     (301) 777-5931 
  • Anne Arundel County             (410) 222-6600
  • Baltimore County                   (410) 887-5700
  • Baltimore City                        (410) 396-5550
  • Calvert County                       (410) 535-2214       
  • Caroline County                      (410) 479-8145 
  • Carroll County                        (410) 386-2080
  • Cecil County                           (410) 996-5310
  • Charles County                       (301) 934-8972  
  • Dorchester County                  (410) 228-2560
  • Frederick County                    (301) 600-8683
  • Garrett County                        (301) 334-6985
  • Harford County                      (410) 638-3565
  • Howard County                      (410) 313-5820
  • Kent County                           (410) 778-0038
  • Montgomery County               (240) 777-8500
  • Prince George's County          (301) 430-8020
  • Queen Anne's County             (410) 758-0832
  • St. Mary's County                   (301) 475-7844
  • Somerset County                    (410) 651-0767   
  • Talbot County                         (410) 770-8099
  • Washington County                 (240) 313-2050
  • Wicomico County                   (410) 548-4830
  • Worcester County                   (410) 632-1320


Return to Program Description Page

Hours of Operation:  Monday through Friday 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM  |  Back to top  |  (PDF) Links require Adobe Acrobat Reader